Everyone was up nice and early ready for our drive out to Cerro Negro, an active volcano and home to a new extreme sport - volcano boarding. We met our guide outside Bigfoot hostel and boarded the back of two trucks for our drive through the outskirts of Leon. I’d stopped at a ‘Farmacia’ before we left to buy a new bandage for my knee with hope that I’d at least get to hike up with everybody else before they boarded down.
Besides the dust off the road that was making its way into everyone’s eyes, it was a pretty spectacular drive. We passed crop fields and cattle, many locals giving us a wave as we drove past. Through the trees we could see the volcanoes standing out amongst the thick greenery that surrounded. The black volcanic ash that covered Cerro Negro contrasted against the other non-active volcanoes that were now as green as their surroundings.
Soon enough, we were at the base of Cerro Negro and this was where I had to decide whether to climb or not. My knee had been feeling good so I thought I might as well give it a go. That being said, with every slip of Will’s shoes on the rocks above me, I was a little more nervous so spent most of my hike up, looking down. As we climbed, the wind grew stronger to a point where it could nearly blow you over. We had a look around the top and into the crater and then it was time for everyone to suit up. Bright orange and blue jumpsuits for all and a pair of goggles… this was extreme stuff. Everyone listened as they were told how to stay on the board and about the 80km record they had to try and break.
I looked down the side that they were going to be boarding with great concern for how I was meant to make it down on foot. It was loose gravel that looked very easy to slip on and as everyone else waited to board down, I began my descent on foot. There was more than a little loose gravel and as I stepped down my whole shoe was engulfed in volcanic rock. It was sort of fun sliding down, sinking with every step, somewhat like skating.
I got the camera ready as Bec and Tan began to board down. It was so funny to watch, at first it took them a while to get the boards straight and then Bec had a small stack. She recovered and they both worked their way down. Tan was in front and made her way down slow but steady and then I look back up to Bec who is absolutely straight lining down the hill. Unfortunately for her it was short lived and as she put her feet down to slow down she was somehow catapulted into the rocks. Couldn’t help but laugh but also worry that she’d really hurt herself, it looked pretty nasty!
The boys were next and there was definitely a mixture of skill level there. Will & Godfrey had a great run, the same couldn’t be said for Rob & Jmo. Bryce & Jimmy did reasonably well with Jimmy clocking the highest speed before face planting at the bottom. I continued skating down the volcano, wondering when the cars waiting at the bottom would stop looking like tiny dots. I made it eventually with what felt like a kg of volcanic rock in each of my shoes. The sun was scorching as we drove back through the jungle, everyone covered in a black coat of dust and volcanic rock. Arriving back at Bigfoot we were greeted with a mojito to cap off what had been an amazing and let’s not forget… EXTREME day.
We miss you guys and your Exteme ways. One love,
ReplyDeleteSeth and Lauren